Sunday, December 18, 2011

Combat Patrol 500 pts - 2011 ends with a Tau Clinic taking 1st ???


So, this past weekend there was the annual 500 pt Xmas Combat Patrol run by a local (he's been doing it for years) at a FLGS that is closing on 12/30/11...Krystal Keep has been the goto store for me for a few years since I discovered it and got back into the hobby. It was always an enjoyable environment and before the usual crowd split up the second half of this year, would always be around for a pickup game or three.

So without further ado, I will get to the pictures of the armies and the 5 games that got me to end of the year on a positive note. Caution - PIC HEAVY!


There is usually a large turnout for this fast and furious Tourney. This year there was a 2k Tourney held at a new store in the area the same day, so the crowd was a little smaller than normal for us.

There were 13 participants, odd man played the TO every round (he plays every year, never wins the tourney but likes to show the rookies how to take it on the chin via Firewarriors), some new, some veteran, nevertheless a great Tourney and a great time!

Edge (me) Tau:
6 Firewarriors w/ Shas'ui EMP
2 units of 10 Kroot
3 units of 2 Crisis Suits TL ML, Flamer (I know WYSIWYG looks like Plasma...)





John W Orks:
15 Grots w/ Handler
3 Kans Big Shootas/Claw
3 Kans Grotzookas/Claw
3 Kans Rockets/Claw


Jason H Orks:


Nick S Orks:
Rookie but paints like a veteran! I loved this scheme and overall look.
Big Mek KFF
30 Boys w/ Nob PK, Bosspole
3 units of 1 Kan Grotzooka/Claw
Deffkopta TL ML


Bob C White Scars:
Has won Best Painted many times over the years!



Mike W (EAP ML) Dark Eldar:
5 Kabalites Raider NS, FF
2 units 3 Wracks Venom 2 SC, NS
1 Razorwing NS, FF


Mouse Genestealers:
Huge Nid army painted in this scheme!
Well over 4000 points.
5 units of 5 Genestealers Rending, AG, TS


Eric K Necrons:


There were some other armies there that weren't out when I went around taking pics:
Eldar Wraithguard
Imperial Guard
A few other Orks
Tau Firewarriors

Rules:

Combat Patrol:
December 17th, 2011
12pm (Noon) until 6pm
32 Player Tournament
5 Rounds of Action (50 minutes each, No Lunch Breaks)
$5 Entry Fee
A whole lot more fun than shovelling snow!

Army Restrictions:
Armies cannot exceed 500 ponts.
You must have at least one (1) Troops choice and three (3) total units.
You may have one HQ choice, but no more than one.
You may spend the rest of the points from anywhere in the Codex.
No model can have more than 2 Wounds.
No Special Characters.
No 2+ or better saves.
No vehicles with a total Armor Value of greater than 33 (Front + Side + Rear).
No ordnance weapons.

Additional Requirements:
Bring 2 objective markers of some type.

Scenarios haven't been decided but they should be a challenge. All of the other random rules that have been used in the past are in effect except the singing part. That pretty much was the worst idea ever!

Scenarios:


Scenarios are always fun to play and clear for both players.
The main priority for the Tourney is to HAVE FUN!

Batreps:

Game 1 vs Brian D Eldar:
I think this one was over before it started. He had 2 units, Pathfinders and Wraithguard.
He had to get them to my deployment zone to earn VP.
Brian is a newer player, he's had the army for a while but doesn't play regularily.

I won the roll and chose sides. I was younger...

Deployment:
I deployed FW centrally in cover, the 3 units of Crisis behind the mountain.
He put the Wraithguard out of LOS...bad move on his part. Pathfinders in Area Terrain centrally.


Infiltration:
2 units of Kroot prepare for the decimation of the Pathfinders...


The SEIZE!!!


Turn 1:
He moved his Pathfinders off the Area terrain to avoid the assault from the Kroot, but this put them in the OPEN! I asked him why and told him not to...he said he was sure he wanted to do it.
I didn't have any choice really but to eliminate the Pathfinders with everything that could shoot them.


Turn 2:
I moved the Kroot towards the Wraithguard to 'bait' him to move...it worked.
I moved the Crisis towards the center.


Turn 3:
He shot and assaulted the Kroot and they stuck! I was shocked...


I countered with the other Kroot...both units BROKE! I guess too many chickens in the hen house!


Turn 4:
He shot the Crisis unit...I told him he should have assaulted the Kroot to get his Wraithguard back into CC...


One LONE Wraithguard...can he take the TAU CLINIC?


Turn 5:
Wraithguard move into Crisis unit...it sticks...


The Crisis finished him off...I didn't want to table him but I really didn't have a choice if I wanted to give him a chance to play...


WIN for me. Good game, thanks Brian.

My only other option to ensure victory was to stay at range and shoot...not fun for the opponent.
I like to be a  sporting player.


Game 2 vs Nick S Orks:
I won the roll and chose sides. I was shorter...
Kroot Outflank.
He failed to seize.

Deployment:



Close up again of his beautiful army!


Turn 1:
I took the Kans out for a turn.
Immobilizing left one in contest range of the Objective (pile of barrels), Immobilizing and Stunning the right and Shaking the middle.


He moved the Boyz up, moved the middle Kan up and moved his Big Mek to repair the right Kan, it got back in the fight.
Having never played vs Tau he was a little annoyed by the Jump-Shoot-Jump of the Crisis...I took advantage of it to keep him off his game.


Turn 2:
Both Kroot come in the left side, yay for me! Concentrate on the Boyz to eliminate their threat a little. They performed extraordinarily! Taking out like 20 Boyz...
Crisis Wrecked the right Kan, Blew up the middle Kan. Killed the Big Mek.


The Deffkopta comes in my right side...boo for me! Takes out 1 Crisis and sticks combat.
He moved the Boyz over to eliminate 1 unit of Kroot.


Turn 3:
Shooting eliminates the Boyz.
I move the Kroot to claim the contested objective while holding my own with the FW.
The Crisis sticks CC.


Crisis kills the Deffkopta.


WIN for me. Good game. Thanks Nick.
His only mistake was breaking the Big Mek off to repair. This allowed me to target him.


Game 3 vs John W Orks:
I won the roll and chose sides.
Back on the 1st table I was on...I chose the same corner as before.
Kroot Outflank.
He failed to seize.

Deployment:


Rocket Kans left, Grotzooka Kans middle, Big Shoota Kans right.


Turn 1:
I took out 1 Rocket Kan, shook 1 Rocket Kan and took out 1 Grotzooka Kan, shook 1 Grotzooka Kan...crap.
He ran towards me...a little intimidating.


Turn 2:
I took out 1 Rocket Kan and shook the other 2 Grotzooka Kans.
He kept coming, Big Shootas took out a FW...


I didn't take any pics for the rest of the game. I can't remember why, maybe because I was caught up in the tense gameplay...I really was a little intimidated at the thought that if they got into my lines I was done.

Turn 3:
The Kroot came in the left side and took out the Grots.
I immobilized the last remaining Rocket Kan and took his Rocket, shook the Grotzooka Kans again.
He kept coming with the Big Shootas. He killed a few more FW, they stick.

Turn 4:
The Kroot take out the 2 Grotzooka Kans in shooting from behind (phenomenal performance this game!). The combined Crisis take out 2 Big Shoota Kans and Immobilze the last one.

He was down to 1 Immobilized, Rocketless Kan left and 1 Immobilized, Big Shootaless Kan right.
He conceded.

I've known John for a few years now and I think I have only played him 4 times or so...

WIN for me. Great game, best of the day, thanks John!


Game 4 vs Mouse Nids:
Mouse won the roll. He had more pocket change...
I had to setup half of my force w/i 6" of center obj. I had 6 units, 3 Troop and 3 Elites. I setup in the 'best possible way' I knew how.

Like an onion...Center was 6 FW, one ring of Kroot, another ring of Kroot.


I couldn't seize.
He setup 2 units his edge and 1 unit each of the other 3 edges.
With Fleeting Genestealers I would be in CC on his first turn.


Turn 1:
He failed to move into CC with the outer ring of Kroot. Fleet rolls sucked.
I came on and Crisis Flamed/FW shot the right unit. Crisis/Kroot shot the bottom unit to 1 Nid. Crisis/Kroot shot the Top unit to 2 Nids.


Turn 2:
He moved ALL remaining Nids into CC with the outer ring of Kroot.


The Kroot died horribly and the Nids stood there waiting for return fire...



After my turn of shooting...there were no Nids on the table.

The game took like 20 min...I felt bad for Mouse but he said after seeing my deployment he knew it was over.

WIN for me. Good game. Thanks Mouse.


Game 5 vs Steve S Orks:
He won the roll. Most models.
This opponent is always SUSPECT.
Steve is a known CHEATER.
He CHEATED in 2 of the previous rounds.
He CHEATED at last year's Combat Patrol with his Blood Angels Death Company.
He CHEATED in this game.
It was the last game for the Tourney and I was already 4-0-0 and wanted to end the day without a headache.
I was off my game from the beginning. I DON'T LIKE STEVE AND I HATE CHEATERS.

Deployment:


Infiltration:
I deployed 18" away from the Nobs...


Turn 1:
He assaulted the Kroot with his Nobs...18" away...


Turn 2:
He WAAAGHS and assaults the other Kroot and moves past the building.


Turn 3:
I Crisis Flame/shoot the Boyz to the Nob, then assault, wiping the unit and moving towards the building.


Turn 4:
He assaults the FW in terrain with the Nobs from the building...14" away...he tried to WAAAGH again...dumbass.


I conceded the game...after multiple wound manipulations with the Nob unit that really didn't have allocation ability and some crazy movement...I started to argue but chose not to make a big deal about it.

After I got home, I checked his list, it was 530 pts.
Should have known since it was written down like chicken scratch on a torn piece of paper. Asshole.

So after the round the results came in...
1st Edge (me) 4-1-0
1st John W 4-1-0
1st Nick S 4-1-0
1st Steve S 4-1-0

I was the only one with 4 WINS before the 5th round.

Since it was the HOLIDAYS and ALL the TO shared the prize. The Rookie got the bonus $.

Good day for the first 4 rounds. Thanks for the games guys!

Mike W (EAP) and myself.


Raji (Owner) and myself.


Thanks to Jim for the Tourney farewell!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the breakdown.
    I took pics, but apparently my Camera and I are not on the same page, and not a SINGLE shot I took was in focus!

    I LOOOOVED playing your 5th opponent (he was my fourth)...he was sooo on the up and up!

    It was a grand, if a little sad, day, and I'm going to miss the Keep a great deal.

    'gratz on (one of) the win(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Edge!!!! Good pictures and everything. Sounds like really you should basically count this as a win in your book.

    Congrats man. You even played a sporting game the first round. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @EAP - Yes the Keep will be missed.

    @Drkmorals - Yes I did count this as a win...
    I went looking to have fun and test some tactics. I got some favorable matchups: Eldar, Ork, Ork, Nid, Ork...couldn't have been better for my list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts