Sunday, December 2, 2012

Epic Loot 2000 pt Tourney Results 12/1


Results are in and Grey Knights take it a second time!
Many of the Iron Builder armies were present and enjoyed a good day gaming.

12/1 Results: Martial Law in Red

1st - James Curry - Grey Knights - 13 pts
2nd - Warmonger - Necrons - 11 pts
3rd - Kevin Kirby - Imperial Guard - 10 pts
4th - Tomas - Eldar - 9 pts
4th - Will - Sisters of Battle - 9 pts
5th - Josh Druer - Grey Knights - 8 pts
5th - Chris Breuer - Eldar / Dark Eldar - 8 pts
5th - Zach Guy - Dark Eldar - 8 pts
6th - Edge - Imperial Guard - 7pts
7th - Christian - Chaos Marines - 6 pts
8th - Alicia - Daemons - 5 pts - Best Painted

Toby played his Squat Imperial Guard Clockwork army and actually came in 1st but was not eligible.

As for my performance, it did not go as planned.
I am not making excuses for my bad first two games...I had a huge sinus head cold and I did not realize just how much clear-minded thinking is needed to run an AirCav list. There is a lot of math and vector calculations to consider and this is extremely difficult when your head just won't stop pounding.

My medicine I took after the 1st round didn't kick in until the start of the 3rd round. It was like a wave of pressure just left my forehead and nose. My list finally worked to perfection in the 3rd game.

Oh, and my camera died in the middle of the 1st game, changed batteries, and it was still dead. I checked when I got home and it is the camera not the batteries...time to get another. It was like 8 years old anyway, gives me a reason to make the spousal request for a 'required tool' for my leisure time.

Game 1 vs Warmonger and his WraithStorm
Dawn of War - Purge the Alien

This was a rematch with an old club adversary, I think we were even on tourney history but he was ahead with his WraithStorm list 2-1...

I planned for the eventuality he would have 6 units of 3 Wraiths as he normally runs 3 units of 6. He got his grubby hands on another 6 Wraiths so he had 4 units of 6 Wraiths!
Jumping Hammernators are impossible to remove in 2 turns or less before they hit your lines.

I went from a Draw/Minor Loss to a Major Loss because I went to Hover mode and tried to get more pts...stick to the plan dumbass!

6-13 Major Loss

Good game Warmonger.

Game 2 vs Average player and his Baron led Dark Eldar
Vanguard Strike - Relic

His list was not perfect and he knew the rules. My issue was he kept picking up his 'hits' and combined with my head cold I could not see how many 'hits' he actually had. I kept reminding him to pick up his misses and keep his hits so his opponent can see them...just frustrated me more so than normal.

He didn't have much if anything to deal with AirCav and he was sweating it...he tried to wipe me out first turn but didn't succeed.

I went from a Draw to a Major Loss in a turn because I couldn't remove the Baron.

2-6 Major Loss

Game 3 vs Average player with his Slaanesh Chaos Marines
Hammer and Anvil - Scouring

This was a rematch from last week...same deployment.
He had 1 Lascannon and 1 twin-linked Lascannon to deal with AirCav.

I ended up with the 4 pt and both 3 pt objectives on my side. The 1 pt and 2 pt objective were within reach of my deployment. He had the other 2 pt objective in his deployment.

This game came down to an exercise in dice-rolling and every attempt to NOT Table him while achieving victory. My list worked too well this game.

The Callidus and Marbo wiped a unit of 10 man Noise Marines down to 3 when they came in before anything else fired at them. He had to eliminate both of them to keep his objective. The objective was 2 pts, he eventually achieved removing both and securing his objective with 1 Chaos Sarge.

It only took 1 Vendetta to blow up his Defiler.

His Demon Prince was grounded and then took Shotguns to the face.

The rest of his units were slow-moving and had no real threat to me until he got to the center objective with his Melta Marines and rolled Skyfire. He had control of the center with 1 Melta unit in Ruins.

The highlights of this game were:

His Chaos Sarge took out my CCS Commander Warlord and 2 Vet Sergeants before I could take him down with 3 units of Vets/CCS.

Coteaz gave his Chaos Lord Termie a strong pimp-hand with 19 guys looking onward.
That's how you slap-a-ho!

15-3 Major Victory

2 comments:

  1. Good write up man, sorry you had a bad showing this time but Air heavy lists are harder to play than most people think initially until you are actually pushing planes around the board. =P Do you think your list from last week would have done better? Just curious I tend to jump lists too to test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an interesting game. I've never played against so many flyers at once before. I think the flyer lists take a whole lot more finesse than people first think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts