Monday, January 2, 2012

List of the Week - Deathwing...I mean Greywing


Why does the Grey Knights Codex do everything better? It really is a sad time when the new GK's do Deathwing better than Belial does Deathwing.

I really wanted to make a Deathwing Tournament build just to have in my repertoire. I have a Club buddy who has played DW for a long while, I have played against it and always liked the army and list. I love Terminators and the thought of fielding nothing but is always tempting.

I have a Deathwing build I have been fine tuning for sometime so when I am ready to start it won't take too much time.

2000 pts:
130  Belial TH/SS
145  Librarian TA
290  Upgraded DW unit: Apothecary, Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 3 LC
240  DW unit: Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 2 LC, 1 Chainfist
240  DW unit: Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 2 LC, 1 Chainfist
240  DW unit: Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 2 LC, 1 Chainfist
240  DW unit: Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 2 LC, 1 Chainfist
240  DW unit: Cyclone, 2 TH/SS, 2 LC, 1 Chainfist
130  Dread HF, TLAC
130  Dread HF, TLAC

10 KP
6 mobile units - 12 48" S8 AP3 shots
2 mobile units - 4 48" S7 AP4 shots
32 Terminators
2 Walkers
Tablewide Psychic Hood [Last one of the game]
Tablewide Fearless


I compared this to Grey Knights on a whim and well, well, looky, looky, someone's got a cookie...

2000 pts:
210  Librarian NWS, Teleport Homer, Might, Summoning
110  Ordo Malleus Inq TA Psycannon, NDH, Psyker HH
450  GK Terminators x10: 2 NDH, 2 Psycannon/NFH, 6 NFH
450  GK Terminators x10: 2 NDH, 2 Psycannon/NFH, 6 NFH
450  GK Terminators x10: 2 NDH, 2 Psycannon/NFH, 6 NFH
135  Psifleman Dread (2 TL AC, Psybolts)
135  Psifleman Dread (2 TL AC, Psybolts)

7-10 KP
3-6 mobile units - 28 24" S7 AP4 Rending shots and 48 24" S5 AP5 shots
2 mobile units - 8 48" TL S8 AP4 shots
32 Terminators
2 Walkers
24" Psychic Hood
Aegis gives some protection
Psyker improved CC
Stubborn LD 10

I am sad now...Is there a reason to take Dark Angels Deathwing?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I've been playing Deathwing since the FAQ. DA gets humming when you work in melta bike squads for 2 reasons. First, it lets to strip the enemy of key vehicles, so they have to walk towards your scoring Cyclone-shooting terminators. Second, accurate Deathwing Assaults. DWA is great because if the enemy can focus fire on one squad, you will lose. Deathwing either need to deepstrike in your face or hug your table edge.

    The DA Command squad greatly benefits from the banner because you don't need to get the charge and it makes you hit harder since we are limited to 5 man squads. Feel-No-Pain termies are delicious and can shrug off a ridiculous amount of wounds. I usually don't run a CML on this squad since I like to play aggressive with them. They are usually a suicide squad, but I usually end the game with them still on the board due to FNP. Belial throwing out 6 attacks on the charge with Claws isn't too shabby as well. It has won me many a combat. Otherwise, I don't bother with Lighting Claws.

    Dreadnoughts and the Librarian, as much as it pains me, are lackluster choices. The Librarian is LD 9, which hurts more than one would think. Dreadnoughts get pummeled due to being the AV in the army. Venerable dreads are interesting since DA still have the old rules, but alas, they are BS 3 versus BS 4 of other Space Marines. I am experimenting with running them with Lascannons to force the enemy towards me as a I plink them with Las and Missiles. 75 pt Typhoons are a huge bonus for DA as well.

    In closing, spamming TH/SS and CMLs with Deathwing Assault are the benefits. Your Grey Knight list is nice, but it does not have the versatility or survivability of the DA. Every Storm Shield counts. 2 TH/SS per squad is the very minimum I would run because each model lost painfully felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Gigawatts.

    DWA is nice and I understand about the melta bikes...I don't like bikes and didn't want to incorporate them into the list.

    I have playtested and seen LC Belial, very nice in CC...it is a free swap so I might still go that way.

    I understand about the Libby and had second thoughts about it...probably will drop it.

    Dreads...I forgot about the BS nerf on Vens. The reg Dread is BS 4 though. I was taking reg Dreads as backup fire support for light mech and horde control.

    I like the Typhoon Speeder...will probably incorporate them in place of the Libby.

    I did the DW unit that way for allocation. Sgt LC, LC, TH/SS Cyclone, TH/SS, Chainfist. Ot works better for mass dice rolling. I don't like losing 3 TH/SS to bolter fire.

    I appreciate the in depth comments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts